The Jordan Glass Times

New issues will be released whenever I have something to say.

Name:
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

I am a twenty one year old student currently in my fourth year of a double major in history and political science with a minor in religious studies. I was raised in Thornhill and now now live in the beautiful Northern Ontario city of Sudbury. I am proudly political. Which you will have no problem noticing. You will also find that I am proudly Zionist and proudly Liberal. Of note; my opinions are not reflective of any candidate I may be attached to, nor are they intended to insult or be libelous to any person, place, or thing.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Anti-semitism on the web

Alright folks, fresh my move and 3 days off my last post I'm ready to get back into it. So here it is...
My mind has been blown as of late by the anti-semitic nature of many on the web. Now I know many will say I am confusing anti-semitism with anti-Zionism and anti-Israeli. However, this can't be true as they are all one in the same. I have been shocked by the lack of understanding I have come across regarding such a fact as of late. But moreover, I have been shocked by those who are quoted in reference these statements that are not said to be anti-semitic at all. Quotes from such names as Robert McClelland (the NDP senior staffer who uttered those famour words, "Fuck the Jews") and David Duke (the Louisiana Republican who was once leader of the KKK) just proves the fact. Anti-semitism, anti-Israeli, and anti-Zionist are intertwined. To state otherwise would be wrong.
So I post this simply asking, "Why?" I know a number of you people I refer to read this blog, so I ask that you post a response and explain to me, "Why?"

8 Comments:

Blogger kris said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you proved anything regarding your thesis. You need to go a little deeper than this.

It's too bad that people cannot be critical of a nation that possesses nuclear weapons.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anti-semetism and anti-zionism are the same thing.
Those who want to be critical of the Israeli Government can do so, they must also find ways in which to support the State and her people, then they are free to be critics.
Example:
1.Attend an Israeli Independance day celebration in your community (they take place in every major canadian city in the month of May)
2.Plant a tree in Israel through the JNF (Number in your local phoneback) You can have it planted in Canada Park or the John Diefenbaker Forest.
3.Write a letter to the editor extolling the regions only democracy that has an independant judiciary, a free press and regular elections.

If you feel that you cannot do these things but are still wanting to be a critic of Israel then you are an anti-semite.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate Israel. As someone of South African descent, I will never forgive Israel for it's conduct during SA's apartheid era as it was the regime's staunchest (and only) ally in the world. Why should I support a country that condones the dehumanization of Africans?

D.W.G

12:54 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

I see my request has gone unanswered.

To anonymous(1):
This is a blog, not an essay. However, the nuclear weapon arguement is a valid one that can be discussed at a later date -- not just regarding Israel, but the other eight nations that pocess them.

To anonymous(3):
Israel's approval of the Apartheid is only rumoured. But I will say this -- Israel does have a large population within her boarders of people originating in Africa -- most notably of Ethiopian decent. Moreover, the argument seems rather flat. It is the equivalent of me hating Italy today because for a time they supported the Nazis.


But none of this really answers my question. Why is there such an acceptance of anti-semitism/anti-Zionism/anti-Israeli on the web? More notably why is it from bloggers who claim to be liberal?

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fustrating are annonymous posters?

10:57 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

I feel your pain.

1:00 AM  
Blogger BHCh said...

It's more noticable on the web because people don't hide their feelings. Just a reflection of real world.

Still, I don't agree with the point Anti-zionism=antisemitism. True that all antisemites are antizionists. True that most antizionists are antisemites. Some aren't.

In fact antizionist = antiisraeli. It is just as racist as antiamerican or antigerman or antianyothernation and does not have to be compared to another type of racism, which is antisemitism.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home