The Jordan Glass Times

New issues will be released whenever I have something to say.

Name:
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

I am a twenty one year old student currently in my fourth year of a double major in history and political science with a minor in religious studies. I was raised in Thornhill and now now live in the beautiful Northern Ontario city of Sudbury. I am proudly political. Which you will have no problem noticing. You will also find that I am proudly Zionist and proudly Liberal. Of note; my opinions are not reflective of any candidate I may be attached to, nor are they intended to insult or be libelous to any person, place, or thing.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Anger over suicide talk

I'll move away from the Middle East for a little bit, because I noticed something in the paper that angered me greatly.
This past Monday a home in Mississauga, Ontario exploded with the man still inside. This caused millions of dollars in damage to the neighbourhood. This man has been lying in the hospital ever since. He has recieved many well wishes from these very same neighbours. That all changed on Wednesday when a suicide note was found in the rubble of his former home. On Thursday, papers decided to interview those neighbours.
(This is the part where I get angry.) One of his neighbours was interviewed. One assumes she was angered by the damage to her house; said to be beyond repair. But this was what she had the gaul to say. "If you want to kill yourself, fine, eat some poison or something else. But do it somewhere else and another way." For the record, her name is Grace Garland and she lives (or used to anyway) on Duchess Drive, near Cawthra Road and the Queen Elizabeth Way. (Do what you want with that information if you're ever in the neighbourhood.
The disgusing lack of understanding someone can have for this man is apalling. What he did was wrong -- no doubt about it. However, what should be of concern is that he attempted to kill himself. He has obviously been hurting. Suicide is not a joke. On this day it was trivilized. Every year suicide kills more than homocide does. Only one in four people who ever contemplate suicide will ask for help. My heart goes out to this man. I hope that he gets help. He is obviously in great need of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home