The Jordan Glass Times

New issues will be released whenever I have something to say.

Name:
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

I am a twenty one year old student currently in my fourth year of a double major in history and political science with a minor in religious studies. I was raised in Thornhill and now now live in the beautiful Northern Ontario city of Sudbury. I am proudly political. Which you will have no problem noticing. You will also find that I am proudly Zionist and proudly Liberal. Of note; my opinions are not reflective of any candidate I may be attached to, nor are they intended to insult or be libelous to any person, place, or thing.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Lebanon refuses direct contact

Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Saniora has stated that he refuses to have any direct contact with Israel and that Lebanon would be the last state to sign a peace deal with Israel. Now I suppose I can comprehend the presonal grudge, however, for the good of his constituents should he not sign such a deal? I would think that Lebanon would want peace with Israel.
Throughout the last month (although not on my blog) I have defended Prime Minister Saniora as a man whose nation has been held hostage by war that has very little to do with his people. However, what he is doing is irresponsible. For the good of his people, he should be the first to sign such a deal.
In his own words, "Let it be clear, we are not seeking any agreement until there is just and comprehensive peace based on Arab initiative."
The Arab initiative he speaks of would created at the 2002 Arab League Summit in Beirut. It calls for a return to the pre-'67 boarders with Jerusalem as the capital and a solution to the refugee issue.
This request is simply far too much. Israel has already agreed to give Gaza and Judea and Samaria (the West Bank) over to create a Palestinian state. And I must say the Arab League's demands sounded great four years ago, however, none of its members have done anything to assist those refugees who identify as Palestinian within their own nations.
My personal opinion, this is all politics. Saniora is well aware he is losing support politically among his people, and feels a need to be strong with Israel. However, he knows Israel will never give up the Holy City Yerushalaim (or Jerusalem is you prefer). And quite frankly, they shouldn't have to. In its Israel has already given up more than 2.5 times the land it currently inhabits -- with more on the way. Saniora should swallow his pride and do what Israel has long been seeking with Lebanon and sign a peace treaty, so that (hopefully) there will be no more war between the two nations.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you might want to pop over to counterpunch.org. seems some of those folks - israeli and otherwise - don't quite share your view of history and what isreal wants or doesn't want.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

To uzurper:
I understand that a number of structures were destroyed and people killed in the crossfire between Hezbollah and Israel. As well, I understand why such defensive action on Israel's part was necessary.

Israel has lost people too. More than one million Israelis have been displaced. But Olmert is still reaching out for peace. I'm just saying I think Saniora has a responsibility to as well.


To fragmunt:
Visited it. I was not shocked. If you would like more anti-Israel/anti-Zionist/anti-Semitic (sometimes all on the same site) there are many MANY out there.

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Jews have bombed Lebanon back twenty years and continue to blockade it and now you expect them to make peace on your terms? Your chutzpah is unbelievable. Saniora has a responsibility to his people and not the Jews, that's what you've got to understand...You say Israel lost people too, but you see, only a handful of these were civilians. There were about 12 Lebanese killed for each Jew. Who would've thought that Hezbollah, a "terrorist" organization, would have a better combatant:civilians killed ratio...There can be no peace until the Jews get off their high horse and stop thinking the world owes them everything because of the holocaust. Not including the West Bank, the Jews already have 77% of Palestine. But obviously, you want more. The Palestinians have already lost over 3/4 of their homeland, why should they not get ALL the West Bank? Show some humility.

-Dev

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure I'll be labelled an anti-semite for daring to criticize Israel so I'll save you some time and say that I'm pro-Palestinian. If you can be a Zionist without hating Arabs I don't know why I can't be pro-Palestinian without being an anti-semite.

-Dev

5:18 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

You can be. I, myself, have admitted to the need for a independent state known as Palestine. That is not what makes you anti-Semitic. What makes you anti-Semitic is statements like, "There can be no peace until the Jews get off their high horse and stop thinking the world owes them everything because of the holocaust."

I have not said there can only be peace when the Palestinian Authority gets over the fact that they made a mistake in not accepting the original UN partition and again in not accepting the offer of 95% per cent of their demands.

Now that I think about it, its a good thing I never said that.

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the kind of guy who loves to try different stuff. Presently I'm manufacturing my own pv panels. I'm managing it all alone without the help of my men. I am using the net as the only way to acheive this. I ran across a really amazing site that explains how to contruct pv panels and wind generators. The place explains all the steps involved in solar panel construction.

I am not really sure about how correct the information given there is. If some guys over here who had xp with these works can have a peak and give your feedback in the page it will be awesome and I would really treasure it, cauze I really would love to try [URL=http://solar-panel-construction.com]solar panel construction[/URL].

Tnx for reading this. You guys rock.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home