The Jordan Glass Times

New issues will be released whenever I have something to say.

Name:
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

I am a twenty one year old student currently in my fourth year of a double major in history and political science with a minor in religious studies. I was raised in Thornhill and now now live in the beautiful Northern Ontario city of Sudbury. I am proudly political. Which you will have no problem noticing. You will also find that I am proudly Zionist and proudly Liberal. Of note; my opinions are not reflective of any candidate I may be attached to, nor are they intended to insult or be libelous to any person, place, or thing.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Quebec...the day after...

Prior to beginning this post, I would just like to say good luck to Bob Rae in Toronto Centre. Last night he won the nomination to replace Bill Graham as the Member of Parliament for the area. I have no doubt he'll be victorious.

Now, to the big story today. Jean Charest is the Premier in a Quebec minority government. No real surprise there. The big surprise, however, is Mario Dumont surge to the Leader of the Official Opposition. This can be looked at two ways: (1) the Prime Minister's popularity is growing in Quebec and as such Quebeckers decided to vote for the right leaning option; and (2) the ADQ simply represents a middle ground between the PQ and the Quebec Liberal on the sovereigntist debate. I suspect it is the latter. And I think it is good news. I don't always agree with the Prime Minister (although some may say I do), but he was absolutely correct when he said for the first time in 40 years Quebec's government and official opposition don't want a referndum. And that is good news. So I wish M. Charest luck in working with M. Dumont and M. Boislcair in the coming term. And I wish him luck in the next election. Hopefully he can hang on for a good 2 years.

That is it for Quebec though, and I turn my sight to Saskatchewan as the (potentially) next sight of a provincial election in this country. We'll see if David Karwacki can pick up a seat or two for the Liberals and if Brad Wall can remove Lorne Calvert's government. (Here's hoping yes.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home